Wednesday 20 June 2007

The royal routine demystified

Members of the royal family undertake many engagements over the year. Some, like the Princess Royal seem to think it's a contest, but for the most part we all try to do our best. These engagements are usually called 'away days'. So called because we leave the palace and go away somewhere. Normally to a small town to meet and greet, cut ribbons, and in general let people know we're still around. After 81 years I've had much practice in giving the public good value. I even have my very own routine, which I'd like to share with you now.

Smile. Wave. Smile, Nod head. Accept bouquet of flowers from small child. Accept obeisance from members of the public. Smile. Wave. Nod head. Make small talk with dignitary. Cut ribbon/unveil plaque. Smile. Wave. Get into car and drive home.

I don't always do this routine in that particular order. Sometimes I like to mix things up a little bit. If I feel a bit down I like to do a bit of a walkabout, and accept more flowers and obeisance - that always makes me feel good, if a little tired. But I'm a traditionalist, so ordinarily this routine, passed down from generation to generation, doesn't change.

So there you have it. No mystery involved. And here, after all these years you probably thought it was something special didn't you?

© The Queen

No comments: